Thursday, September 24, 2009

Responding to the Call of the Hills

Hello, Salzburg!




Little did I know that Salzburg is only about an hour and fifteen minutes train ride from Rosenheim! Eva and I decided that we should take a day trip across the border! For only 14 euros round trip, we went from Rosenheim to Salzburg and back, and had beautiful weather the whole day.

I have always wanted to go to Salzburg, because it is there that much of the Sound of Music was filmed. The Sound of Music is my favorite movie, and I have always wanted to see where it was filmed! Here I will document the adventure of my first trip to Austria!

These are the arches between the Residence Square and Cathedral Square. It was through these arches that Maria made her way to catch the bus that took her out to the suburbs and to the home of the von Trapp family.

This is Residence Square, where the 17th century Baroque fountain is where Maria sang, "I Have Confidence." She dipped her hand into the basin and splashed some water out in her effort to show her confidence in starting a new life...


We made the hike up lots and lots of stairs to the entrance gates to the Nonnberg Abbey


The grand fountain in the Mirabell Gardens seen below is where Maria and the children were seen having fun, and the Pegasus Fountain, before coming to the Do-Re-Mi steps.
I also saw the rock riding school where the Festival house is located, where the von Trapp Family Singers performed and then disappeared behind the stage to try and make their escape. Sadly, we couldn't enter the Festival House, but here it is from the outside.
Lastly, we visited the graveyard of St. Peter's Abbey where the von Trapp family hid from the German soldiers. This was a very interesting day, to say the least! It was really fun to go around and find a lot of the places where the movie was filmed. Sadly, a lot of the sights are not reachable by public transport or by walking. The gazebo and the von Trapp house as well as the wedding church are farther on the outskirts of Salzburg. Hopefully I will make a return visit there, and be able to go and see those places as well.

Disclaimer: Salzburg is not only home to The Sound Of Music, but also to Mozart! Mozart was born in Salzburg, and his house is also a museum. What is Mozart without a little capitalism? Mozart candy is also widely popular among locals and tourists alike...

No comments: