Yesterday was my first day at the new school, and it was the obligatory, Hi I'm Kerby. I'm your new teaching assistant, I went to University in California (insert the ooooooohs and aaaaaaaaah here). In the first class I went to yesterday, in the second row a boy had on an Oregon State sweatshirt! No kidding! I said, "Oh! Oregon State! Haha, U of O is better!" He looked at me like he didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked him, "How did you get an Oregon State sweatshirt?" He said that he lives at this place that Franciscan monks stay at when they come to Austria, and that when they move on, they can't take all their stuff back to the US with them, so they leave it behind and he decided to take the OSU sweatshirt! That was interesting though, to see that first thing when I walk in the classroom! This is the same boy (who clearly is just about fluent in English, which he considers his first language, though he is from the Ukraine and lives in Austria) who for some reason decided to tell me that people don't like Obama because of his stance on abortion, and how it's a "really bad mortal sin".....needless to say I stopped that topic right there! The teacher said, "Ok, we need to change the topic because this is not appropriate to be talking about right now!" No kidding.....
On a side note, the director of the school, who is a priest (did I mention that I'm at a private Catholic school?) is at the Olympics in Vancouver, with the Austrian Olympic Team. He's their priest, and has been with all the Olympic teams since who knows when. He goes with them and travels with them. Cool, huh? Fun stories when he gets back! Hopefully some photos too!
No comments:
Post a Comment