Today in the 6th form (16 year olds), I had to discuss immigration. Wow, what a topic! Totally fits with my scenario right now, so yay me.
I asked them about immigration/emigration in Austria, and forced some opinions out of those zipped mouths of theirs...and forced their brains to THINK. Lovely teaching assistant, aren't I!?
I asked them what their opinions of immigrants are and then asked them, ok, so how do you see me? I'm a registered citizen with the city, I have an Austrian bank account, I get paid by the Austrian government, I pay Austrian taxes and I have what you guys call an "Alien Card" (they looked at me SHOCKED. Their eyes just about popped out of their heads!). They told me that I'm "different" and that they don't have a problem with me as an immigrant. Basically, and it's out of their own mouths, they have a problem with the Turkish immigrants. Especially second generation Turkish teens who say, "We hate Austria". Now, the whole point of me saying this was that I was drawing out of them their cultural stereotypes...one student said, "Well, you're different because, you know, America and Europe are pretty much the same..." Ok, well, last time I checked, they were totally NOT the same. Ok, I'm not living in a third world country, but Austria is in no way like living in the United States. I brought to their attention that it's not that immigrants just come because they want a better life, what is also a big factor is the receiving country's infrastructure, and the fact that factories/companies go and recruit people to come and work! By enticing people to come and work, here we have people from other countries working in the US/Austria.
Moving away from that topic...I also tutored one of the teachers at my old school today. We meet on a weekly basis and just talk. She wants to improve her conversation skills, and I get paid for it. It's amazing. Tomorrow I will tutor one of the boys from the 6th form class that I taught today, and will also tutor him on Friday. Woooooooo, I'm getting busy with the tutoring! Extra money in my pocket is always welcome!
Friday should be interesting because I've booked myself a hair appointment at Tony & Guy! Yes, we totally have Tony & Guy in Vienna! We'll see if they are any good. Sorry Kristin, I just can't wait another 3 months with my hair looking like this! It's been more than 6 months since my last hair cut, and I seriously need it done! I'll take before and after photos. I'm hoping since it's T&G, that I won't come out looking like a hedgehog. Here's to a positive outlook!
(On another side note, at SCS aka Shopping City Süd, we are getting a Cinnabon!!! Hopefully they'll open within the next three months!)
No comments:
Post a Comment