Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Madame Translator

A week or so ago the director of the school who is the priest for the Austrian Olympic Team asked me in the morning, "When you (he used the formal 'you') have a moment, could you come and visit me in my office?" I wasn't worried about anything, because I knew that I didn't do anything to warrant being in trouble. I had a lesson off, so I went into the director's office. He asked me to have a seat, and told me that he was in Vancouver for a long time with the Olympic and Para-Olympic teams, and that he had met some new contacts there. One of these contacts asked him to come and participate as a priest during the World Cup in South Africa. He had written a letter in English to this guy who said he would help him set things up in South Africa. He asked me if I would proof-read the letter he wrote. We sat down at the table and read through it together, and I corrected a few minor mistakes. It was pretty good, considering he doesn't really know English. He thanked me, and said that it should remain our secret, because he doesn't want the staff to know that he is going to be gone for another several weeks. He wants to keep it on the down-low! Well, now all of you who read my blog know, so keep the secret! Don't tell the staff at my school!

No comments: