Monday, October 12, 2009

Scheduling mishap

I was lucky that today I didn't have to be at school until about 10:30, but arrived shortly after 10 so that I could make sure the teacher who I was going to work with first knew that I was there. I go in and sit down at the computer, and shortly after the teacher comes up to me and says, "Oh, sorry, I don't need you (after I had spent time preparing a lesson), because I have something to go over instead." Ok, well, that's fine...I guess. So I had another hour until the next lesson. But shortly after that teacher came up to me, another one did as well, and said, "Oh, sorry. I need you tomorrow, not today!" Ok....come on people! So I only did one lesson today in the end. I also did the very last lesson. It was ok because I got to sleep in a little bit, but it was also frustrating having prepared a lesson and not being able to use it yet. I know I'll be able to use it later though, so at least I have it.

side note: I managed to arrange to have Fridays off! Score!

In the lesson I did teach, I introduced a new lesson on New York City! Woohoo! I've never been, but would love to go. I had them read a text in their book, and then gave them a handout with facts about New York City- food, sports, culture, traditions (Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree and Time's Square New Years Eve!) and even made a handout (with a poem by Langston Hughes) about the Harlem Renaissance. That went over like a lead balloon. Literally...it was way too intense for them, and I didn't realize how many words I used that they didn't know. I had to really explain it in a different way than I had planned, but I hope it got across at least on some level. I apologized to the teacher for making such a complicated lesson, and she said that it was ok, and that it was good because then she can go over the material with them, and I will return to the class on Wednesday to discuss some more things with them. It was also the last lesson of the day, so the students were awfully squirreley, and didn't pay very good attention....that is so frustrating!!!!! Oh well, tomorrow is another day. It is actually pouring down rain outside though. So much for the nice weather...supposedly it is supposed to snow on Wednesday????? I better check the forecast....

No comments: