This was all before the Christmas party!!!! We had a string quartet play for us to set the mood, the principal gave the school doctor a nice speech and some gifts because he is retiring, and there was a huge buffet of really great food in one of the classrooms. There was roast, schnitzel, chicken with mushrooms, rice, vegetables, potato salad, cucumber salad, all kinds of sweets, it was incredible! It was all really delicious, too.
A few of the English teachers and I sat at a table and had a nice conversation for several hours! We talked in both English and in German, and they asked a bit more about my German background, and asked about Mainz. One of the teachers said, well I was wondering because you speak with such a German accent! The other teachers agreed, and complimented me on my German, saying that my sentence structure is excellent and that they don't even notice me making mistakes. WOOHOO! Score one for me!
I also met the teacher's boss, the boss-boss. She is the head of what they call the "Landesschulrat" which is the kind of "state education authority"...the "big wigs" so to speak. They are in charge of everything that goes on in schools, and in charge of teachers, and of course, in charge of paying me! I thanked her for giving me the opportunity to come and be here, and then one of the teachers, Sabine, said that she should employ me permanently! That was a very nice compliment!
Some of the English teachers:
Renate (she is "in-charge" of me while I'm here) and Sabine
No comments:
Post a Comment