Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Previously on Survivor: Days 27-23

Days 27-25 were spent just hanging around camp, doing some necessary housework and cleaning. When you don't live in your own space, it's more important to keep things tidy, and when you only have 20 something days left, you need to think about starting to organize your stuff! Let me tell you, nine months living abroad can sure help you accumulate things!

Day 24: The first day of my last week of school! YEAH! It's amazing that now it's almost over, and now it's time to say my second round of goodbyes. It does feel weird to start saying goodbye, and I'm starting to realize that this is really the end of the end. There sure were days where I thought the end would never come, but now that it's here, it doesn't seem real. However, I am SO ready to set my feet back onto American soil. That's for sure! (Funny enough, the first place I land will be Las Vegas!)

Luckily today I don't have to go in to school, so I get a day off (Oh my gosh! That NEVER happens!) and get a chance to clean and organize and maybe even start packing...which leads me to....

I'm leaving Vienna on Saturday! Yes, the time has come! I'm heading out of here on Saturday and going up to Mainz to hang out with some of my amazing friends before heading back. I'll definitely miss being so close to them when I'm back at home...that's why the next three weeks are going to be spent hanging out as much as possible! Can't wait, you guys!

Yesterday's immunity challenge was: Go into Vienna and get the last things I want before I leave! So, I did just that! I let myself indulge in a Peak Performance sweatshirt (they're really cool, they have great clothes in that store!) and also bought a book for the boy I have been tutoring this semester and also some gifts for the teachers (red pens for grading to name a few!). Then I was off to find an Irish pub, where I was invited by a teacher and her radio station friends to join the pub quiz. I indulged in a nice big glass of water and a sprite, some french fries (aka Chips) and some nachos with the teacher and her friends. I know, random combination of foods! I was, however, very useless when it came to the questions on the quiz. Oh well, I knew some, and got the question right that said, "Who has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the same category?" Can you guess? I'll tell you....Michael Jackson (for his solo career and the Jackson 5!).

Well, it's been a long teaching experience, and like any job, is not without it's frustrations. Somehow, I can relate to the teachers at this school in Florida: they made a music video by lip syncing to Twisted Sister's We're Not Gonna Take It. The purpose behind it was that the teachers are sick of students chewing gum all the time, texting and using their phones in class and wearing belly shirts with their stomachs showing. Here is the anthem for my last three days of teaching Austrian school children. Sometimes they just don't understand how to pronounce their "TH" the correct way, and how not to say WAMpire...




Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode!

No comments: