Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Day After Thanksgiving

Ah yes, the day after Thanksgiving, the day when some Americans choose to get up in the middle of the night and shop-till-they-drop. In Austria, it was just another Friday.

It was funny, because I actually felt the need to go out and go shopping. I didn't in the end, but its funny how all of the advertisements on the internet, all the articles on news websites etc have all this hype about "Black Friday"...but I guess somehow it had an effect on me (very persuasive advertising! But too bad it didn't work). I didn't go shopping, but I did take the train to Baden, where Danielle lives and works (she works as a TA at a teacher training college) to have dinner with her and Faye. We decided that we should continue the fun from the night before, so we went and had dinner at an Italian place in Baden (and decided that we needed desert!).



Baden is really cute. It is really small and quaint, and doesn't have the hustle and bustle that Vienna has. It was nice to get out of Vienna, and it was also nice not to have to dodge people just trying to walk down the street! There were hardly any people on the street, actually!

After dinner we walked around the town, visiting the town square where there were some Christmas stands selling Glühwein and then we also found the Christmas market (which was closing at around 8:30pm!) and a live band. We also saw Beethoven's house, where he lived for three summers while he was composing his ninth symphony. Pretty cool!


Then we made our way back to Danielle's for a quick look at her apartment, and then back to the train station to head back to Vienna.

All in all, it was a nice excursion to Baden! Next time I'll go back in the daylight!

No comments: